What is the Injured Workers' Advocacy Program (IWAP)?*The Injured Workers' Advocacy Program (IWAP) is a proud sponsor of the Tri-State Labor Day Parade & Philadelphia Council AFL-CIO Family Festival.
A comprehensive ground breaking (501c3) non-profit program created to address all phases of the injured worker's process:
From the point of injury via providing financial assistance and consultation on injured workers rights and responsibilities, to providing educational resources for the purpose of career retraining, IWAP serves the interests of the injured worker.
Who is eligible to Participate in the IWAP Program?
Individuals injured while working on the job and in need of financial hardship assistance as well as consultation for the purpose of protecting their rights and understanding their responsibilities during the all important initial time of injury. IWAP is a FREE service for all participating Injured workers. (Note - Currently IWAP and the Gap Assistance Benefit Program are available only to injured workers in the Southeastern Pennsylvania/Greater Philadelphia region with plans for future expansion into other areas of Pa. and the country.)
What is the IWAP GAP Assistance Benefit?
- The GAP Assistance Benefit is a grant available to approved injured workers in need of financial assistance during the time period between when the worker is injured on the job and prior to filing a workers compensation claim. The GAP Assistance Benefit is part of the Injured Workers' Advocacy Program (IWAP), a non-profit 501c3 program.
- What is the Cost of Gap Assistance Benefit? The GAP Assistance Benefit is a Grant that is obtained through application. There are NO costs or expenses associated with application or approval.
GAP ASSISTANCE BENEFIT - INFORMATION AND ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
IWAP Board of Directors Approves GAP Applications based on the following criteria:
- PROOF OF INJURY: Proof of being injured on the job must be provided including: a) Description of Injury, b) Medical Report c) Job Incident Report
- NATURE OF INJURY: Injury must be of a nature that requires the injured worker to miss work and create a hardship situation.
- GAP ASSISTANCE BENEFIT APPLICATION: Injured worker must submit a GAP Assistance application at time of injury and prior to submitting a workers compensation claim or retaining an attorney. (NOTE - This is because IWAP does not permit workers' comp atty referrals for GAP Assistance applications due to the following: a) IWAP does not permit workers' comp attys to use GAP Assistance as a marketing incentive to solicit clients b) Referrals from workers comp attys would deplete the IWAP Fund.)
- PRE-REGISTRATION: Injured Worker must have pre-registered for the GAP Assistance Benefit in order to receive priority GAP Assistance application or the GAP Assistance Family Benefit Privilege (NOTE - Click on link at the top right or bottom of this page to pre-register and to learn more about the benefits of pre-registration)
- LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENT: Worker must have been employed by employer for minimum of 6 months
- LETTER OF HARDSHIP: Letter of hardship written by applicant explaining the reason for need
- LIMITED AVAILABILITY: GAP Assistance Benefit is available to Southeastern Pennsylvania/Greater Philadelphia Region Workers Only (Till Further Notice)
- AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS: The Gap Assistance Benefit Grant Program and the grant amounts dispersed are based on the availability of funds and need
GAP ASSISTANCE BENEFIT GRANT AMOUNT: The Amount of the GAP Assistance Benefit fluctuates based on each individuals hardship situation as determined by the IWAP Board of Directors after a review of the GAP Application as well as by the amount of available funds in the fund at the time of injury. A GAP Assistance Benefit award is to be considered as a short term relief mechanism and, if granted, is to provide minor financial relief to an injured worker in the time between the injury and the receipt of compensation under a worker’s compensation claim.